Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Five Recollections


As I mentioned in my previous post, I had read an item by Jack Daw at his blog Sweep the Dust Push the Dirt that reminded me of something that had been missing from my daily practice: reciting the Five Remembrances.

The Five Remembrances are:

1. I am of the nature to decay; I have not got beyond decay.
2. I am of the nature to be diseased; I have not got beyond disease.
3. I am of the nature to die; I have not got beyond death.
4. All that is mine, beloved and pleasing, will change and vanish.
5. I am the owner of my kamma, heir to my kamma, born of my kamma, related to my kamma, abide supported by my kamma; whatever kamma I shall do, whether good or evil, of that I shall be the heir.

To assist me in making these Five Remembrances concrete for my simple mind, I have arranged a few items on the shelf that I face while I meditate. My practice includes reciting these Five Remembrances aloud so that they penetrate my thick head to remind me that all of the things I don’t like or want to think about are going to happen to me regardless. Ergo, if I recognize these five items as being real and happening to me right now in this moment, it can energize my mental focus and bring Right Effort into my daily activities.

I am of the nature to decay: I have not got beyond decay.

At the heart of this is the fact that I grow old. I am growing old. I am not staying the same. That’s why I have the photo on the right, which is a picture of me from the second grade. It’s to remind me I’m not that person any more. And moment by moment, I am constantly becoming a new individual. It also reminds me that my body is always changing. I can’t eat and drink like I did when I was 35 and still stay a dashingly slim 185 pounds. I can’t climb mountains like I used to, as I have arthritis in my right ankle. Oh wait, that’s number two.

I am of the nature to be diseased; I have not got beyond disease.

Because I live in this bag of bones, I am subject to tiny little creatures called viruses and bacteria that make me feel like hell from time to time. And in general, time takes its toll as well. So yes, my shoulder aches, my ankle gets puffy, I can swim two-thirds of a mile in about 30 minutes, but that’s the best I can get this old heap to do nowadays.

I am of the nature to die; I have not got beyond death.

Lots of folk say so-and-so died of cancer, or died of old age, or died from a heart attack, or died from a broken heart. Doesn’t matter, we are all going to die. And it’s birth that kills us. It just might take a while. Now, this may sound really depressing. Maudlin even. But that’s just an excuse for not paying attention to it. And as a result, we end up living carelessly. Death waits for no one. It is what unites all life. Don Juan used to tell this to Carlos Casteneda – death makes all forms of life equal.

All that is mine, beloved and pleasing, will change and vanish.

Oh, how true, how true. This is the toughest. Whether it’s your spouse, a partner, a parent, a brother, a sister, a son, a daughter, a mother, a father, a friend … everyone changes, everyone dies, or things change. A young parent might delight in their new child, laugh and play with them, but then becomes shocked when that child becomes a teenager and no longer has the same interests or desire to be with a parent. And the parent becomes hurt. Why? Because this inevitable change was not anticipated. Key word there: anticipate. It’s different from expecting something to happen. To anticipate means that you not only expect the event, but are prepared for it. It can also mean you took steps to avoid that uncomfortable future.

I am the owner of my kamma, heir to my kamma, born of my kamma, related to my kamma, abide supported by my kamma; whatever kamma I shall do, whether good or evil, of that I shall be the heir.

It all belongs to me. The parents I had was kamma; the fact I am gay is kamma; the fact that I am male is kamma. That doesn’t mean it’s bad or good kamma, it’s just kamma. And as long as I am clear on this, I can recognize that what is done is done. What counts now is the moment, because out of this very moment arises my future. If I screw up now, I am screwing with my future. Which is why I really like the last line on side 2 of “Abbey Road.”

“And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.”

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. The Remembrances seem to have slipped from my practice as well.

    ReplyDelete