Friday, January 1, 2010

Loving kindness for 2010


On this first day of this new year, I present to you a Pali chant that had been part of my daily practice, although it has fallen into neglect lately. For 2010, I am going to resume this chant and make it part of my daily practice. What I have here is an abridged version of a longer chant called The Sublime Attitudes which can be found among many other Pali chants in this Chanting Guide. If you are unsure of the pronunciation of the Pali, there is a pronunciation guide, but correctly saying the Pali is not as important as understanding the meaning of each verse and striving to bring that quality into everything you think, say and do. Recite the chant after you finish your sitting meditation while your mind is at ease.


Aham avero homi: May I be free from hatred

Aham abyāpajjho homi: May I be free from oppression.

Aham anīgho homi: May I be free from trouble.

Sukhī attānaṃ pariharāmi: May I look after myself with ease.

Ahaṃ sukhito homi: May I be happy.

Sabbe sattā averā hontu: May all living beings be free from animosity.

Sabbe sattā abyāpajjhā hontu: May all living beings be free from oppression.

Sabbe sattā anīghā hontu: May all living beings be free from trouble.

Sabbe sattā sabba-dukkhā pamuccantu: May all living beings be freed from suffering.

Sabbe sattā sukhitā hontu: May all living beings be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment